How to Update Drivers in Windows 10 by Microsoft through windows updates in few cases may not do by automatic due to poor system settings. Your mouse, keyboard, printer, and other devices all have drivers, and every once in a while, these drivers may require updates to fix certain problems of bugs, introduce new features, or improve performance.
A device driver is a computer program that operates or controls a particular type of device that is attached to a computer
Windows 10 users need not worry operating system itself take care of your system updates but in some cases, you need to install drivers from manufactures’ websites. If you are using older versions of Windows like Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc.. Microsoft has been stopped automatic updates for older versions of windows and also recommended for a free upgrade to Windows 10.
How to Update Windows Drivers
1. Using windows updates: Your computer will automatically download and install several recommended updates by the operating system ( Windows ).
2. Manual Install: Installing the drivers manually, either using the disc containing drivers that came with the purchases of the device or downloading from the company’s website.
3. Drivers Updater Softwares: The convenient and comfortable way to upgrade your drivers is by using windows drivers updater software.
How to driver update with windows updates
Windows automatically downloads and installs device drivers, meaning generally, you do not need to manage them. However, there could be occasions when you will need to install an upgrade for a lot of reasons. By way of instance, when the hardware is not recognized automatically, suddenly stops functioning properly, or a fix for a serious bug has released, or support for a new version of the OS is required.
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard or device, or pick the Windows icon at the lower-left corner of the main screen.
- Select Settings, then choose Update & Security.
- When the updates have downloaded, select Install now to begin the installation.
- Following setup, we suggest that you restart your device so that the most recent updates can take effect. Make sure that you save and close any programs that you have open before you restart.
- Windows 7 and 8, you may need to look under “Optional Updates” to download them.
Also Read: How to Uninstall Apps on Mac Book Pro
How to update drivers using Device Manager
If you want to update a particular driver for your hardware like printer, mouse, graphics card, keyboard, and card readers, etc. The windows automatically search for drivers in their database and update for you and to do this you need to go, Device manager of the windows navigation, is below.
1. Press the Windows icon and under search bar type Device manager or right-click on This PC in Windows 10 (if you are using windows 7, XP, etc.. this you need to find My computer).
2. Click the manage option for your driver and hardware management after clicking the manage option a popup window will open called computer management under computer management you need to find Device Manager and click on device manager a list of hardware and click which driver want to update like on the image below.
3. After selection for example in the above image, I was selected for Pointing devices for the update and a popup window was opened here if I want a choice for a driver update to Microsoft I will select for 1 option it will automatically search the driver from Microsoft database and update.
4. If you have a driver which is you downloaded from your manufactures website and select the second option it will allow you drivers from your computer or DVD drive. Before you go with the second option on the above image you need to download your drivers from the manufactures website.
Installing Drivers Manually:
Manual installation of drivers on windows is a very easy task for doing this you need to download specific drivers from your manufacturer’s website for drivers update. There were to types of file formats you probably will get .exe of a .zip file if you got your driver in .exe you can simply double click on that follow the instructions to complete the process. if you don’t get the .exe format to follow the below step by step instructions.
1. Open Start.
2. Search for Device Manager, click the top result to open the experience.
3. Expand the category with the hardware you want to update.
4. Right-click the device, and select Update Driver.
5. Click the Browse my computer for driver software option.
6. Click the Browse button.
7. Browse and select the main folder with the content you have extracted earlier.
8. Click OK.
9. Check the Include subfolders to allow the wizard to find the correct .inf file with the instructions to update the driver.
10. Click the Next button.
Just remember that if you’re using a branded laptop, tablet, or desktop, it’s best to first download the driver update from your PC manufacturer support website. Then if the update doesn’t fix the issue, you should try getting the latest driver from the hardware part manufacturer website.